Home > How You Can Help > Volunteer
Volunteers bring essential services to every outreach program of the Rescue Mission. Each year, hundreds of people offer their time, talent and goodness of heart to Mission projects which help make a difference in the lives of needy individuals. The holidays are fast approaching and our volunteer needs increase during this very busy time of year.
- 2 hour shifts on Thanksgiving Day serving, prepping or clean up
- Meal deliveries on Thanksgiving Day
- Food Service: 10am – 1pm or 3pm – 6pm, everyday
- Coin canister delivery and pick up
- Organizing a food drive to collect canned goods for the food pantry
- Learning Center
- and more!
For more information on how you or your group can help out this holiday season, please call Karin Pflanz at 315-735-1645 x103 to schedule volunteer time, especially if you would like to volunteer Thanksgiving Day – these slots do fill up early!
A story from one of our volunteers:
Caitlin A. is working to complete her Master’s Degree. Part of her requirement was to volunteer for 25 hours; which led her to the Rescue Mission of Utica. She faithfully spent one day a week of her summer at our Food Service Department. Now that her obligation has been fulfilled she continues to serve.
Caitlin shared that she had no idea what to expect when she first started. Each week she felt it was a very rewarding experience; enjoying the staff she worked alongside and feeling that her efforts genuinely affected those whom she served. It caused her to appreciate her own background and recognize the difficulties of others. She now wants to encourage her friends to apply as volunteers and make their own positive experiences.
Year-round, Volunteers are needed to assist in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
• Answer phones & greet guests in the Administration Building.
• Food Services Department 10 am to 1 pm and 3 pm to 6 pm every day. Groups of 5 or less welcome.
• Planting flowers and yard work
• Lead one hour weekly Hymn sing Tuesdays from 2:00 - 2:30 PM.